- EBRD approves India’s membership
The shareholders of European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) have given their nod to India’s candidature to international financial institution. With this, India will become the 69th member of EBRD.
- Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India
IMPRINT India Programme is joint initiative of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc). It seeks to develop road map for research to solve major engineering and technology challenges in 10 technology domains relevant for country.
- India for the first time starts importing LNG from US
The development comes on the heels of India’s first import of crude oil from the US in October 2017
- AWBI headquarters shifted from Chennai to Ballabhgarh
Government has shifted headquarters of Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) to Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana from Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Saposhi: Threat of new malware looms over cyberspace.
Cybersecurity agencies have detected a new malware called Saposhi that can take over electronic devices and use them for Distributed of Service (DDoS) attacks.
- Neiphiu Rio sworn in as Nagaland Chief Minister
Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leader Neiphiu Rio was on Thursday sworn in as the Chief Minister of Nagaland.
- Dhamtari: 1st in the state to be free of open defecation
Kunwar Bai Yadav lived in a village in Dhamtari district in the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh. Inspired by the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, she sold 7 of her goats to raise the money to build a toilet at her house. She was declared a mascot of the campaign and visited by PM Narendra Modi.
- Balkrishna Doshi wins Pritzker Prize
Pioneer of low-cost housing design has won the prestigious Pritzker Prize, considered architecture field’s Nobel. He is 45th Pritzker laureate and first from India to receive it.
- World’s Largest Street Light Replacement Programme
Replace 1.34 crore conventional street lights with energy efficient LED lights by March, 2019. It is being implemented by EESL. Rajasthan was the first state to adopt this scheme.
- Iraq overtakes SA as India’s biggest Oil Supplier
Iraq has overtaken Saudi Arabia to become India’s top crude oil supplier by supplying 38.9 million tonnes (MT) crude oil in the current financial year. It was fifth of the India’s oil needs.
- India’s first HeliTaxi service launched in Bengaluru
The maiden trip of helitaxi was between Electronic City and Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru.
- India-US team test-fires M777 ultra-light howitzers
Joint investigation committee (JIC) comprising US and Indian officials has test-fired M777 ultra-light howitzers (ULH) at Pokhran firing range in Rajasthan.
- AgCuTe: Researchers develop thermoelectric compound
Researchers have developed silver copper telluride (AgCuTe), a novel compound that exhibits poor thermal conductivity but shows good electrical conductivity.
- Marshall Islands to launch world-first digital legal tender
Marshall Islands in Pacific Ocean is set to become first country in world to recognize cryptocurrency as its legal tender and adopt transparent crypto monetary system.
- 90th Academy Awards (Oscars 2018)
The 90th Academy Awards commonly referred to as Oscars was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California (US).The Shape of Water won the most number of awards.
- A new state of matter created
An international team of physicists have successfully created a “giant atom” and filled it with ordinary atoms, creating a new state of matter termed “Rydberg polarons”.
- Google Lens coming to all phones running Google Photos
Google has announced that it is rolling out “Google Lens” — app designed to bringing up relevant information using visual analysis — to all Android phones running “Google Photos”.
- New plant species after former President Abdul Kalam
Plant species from West Bengal named Drypetes kalamii, it is a small shrub found to be shorter version of its close relative Drypetes ellisii.
- World wildlife day – wildlife under threat
Every year March 3 is celebrated as World Wildlife Day to raise awareness about our planet’s flora and fauna.This year the theme is “Big cats — predators under threat.”