- Prince Charles launches education impact bond for India
The DIB, the largest bond of its type in South Asia, is the latest fundraising initiative by the British Asian Trust (BAT), set up by the royal 10 years ago to fight poverty in South Asia.
- February 12 : National Productivity Day
The National Productivity Day is observed every year in India on February 12. Besides, February 12-18 is observed as National Productivity week throughout the country with the theme ’Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India’.
- India Health Fund to boostresearch on TB, malaria
The India Health Fund (IHF), an initiative by Tata Trusts, in collaboration with the Global Fund has come forward to financially support innovations and technologies designed to combat tuberculosis and malaria.
- J-20: China puts stealth fighter into combat service
China has put into combat service its new generation J-20 stealth fighter, a warplane it hopes will narrow the military gap with the United States, the Chinese air force said , making it operationally ready.
- India, Palestine ink six agreements in different areas
India and Palestine have signed six Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) in different areas including health and education.
- Bihar Government bans sale of loose cigarettes
Bihar Government has banned sale of loose cigarettes in the state. This decision aims to be deterrent to kids and youngsters who start smoking by buying loose cigarettes.
- Three new eel species found in Bay of Bengal
Scientists from Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) have discovered three new species of eel along northern Bay of Bengal coast. They are Gymnothorax pseudotile, Gymnothorax visakhaensis and Enchelycore propinqua.
- First Hindu temple in UAE : PM Modi lays foundation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday officially launched the foundation stone-laying ceremony for the first Hindu temple in the capital of the UAE, home to over three million people of Indian origin.
- Mumbai richest city in India, 12th in global ranking: Report
Mumbai, the country’s financial capital, has been named the richest city in India. With a total wealth of USD 950 billion, Mumbai has been named among the top 15 wealthiest cities globally.
- February 13 : World Radio Day
The World Radio Day is observed every year across the world on 13th February to celebrate radio as medium for entertainment, information and mode for communication.
- Abhilasha Kumari : First women Chief Justice of Manipur HC
Justice Kumari–daughter of former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Virbhadra Singh–has served as a Gujarat high court judge and chief justice of Tripura high court. She is the third full-time chief justice of Manipur high court.
- India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual released
The manual, to guide road engineers and policy makers about road expansion known as Indo-HCM, has been developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Central Road Research Institute (CRRI)
- Malacidins : New class of antibiotics from soil
Scientists from The Rockefeller University(NYC) have discovered new class of antibiotics called malacidins.It has been produced by microorganisms living in soil and dirt and is capable of killing off several antibiotic-resistant pathogens
- Bermuda becomes first nation to ban same-sex marriage
Bermuda has become the first jurisdiction to legalise and then repeal same-sex marriage, in what critics have called an unprecedented rollback of civil rights by the British territory.
- Electrons behind colourful auroras observed for the 1st time
Scientists have, for the first time, directly observed the shower of electrons bouncing across Earth’s magnetic field, which causes the spectacular, colourful phenomenon commonly known as the Northern Lights.
- Mumbai to have India’s 1st artificial intelligence centre
In a first in the country, the State government will be setting up an institute for artificial intelligence (AI) in Mumbai. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will unveil the plan for the institute during the Magnetic Maharashtra Summit, and at the Global Economic Conference in Canada next month.
- First fish to have evolved with the ability to walk
According to a recent research published in Cell, the ability to walk originated much earlier than thought previously. Some of the very first sea creatures who were able to walk stayed in the oceans, and never came out.
- World’s First ‘Driverless Transport Pods’ tested in Dubai
In a first move towards the future of transport, the Roads and Transport Authority of Dubai launched the test of the world’s first ‘Autonomous Pods’ during the World Government Summit on Sunday, February 11, 2018.
- Rohan More:First Indian and Asian to swim across Ocean Seven
Pune-based swimmer, 32-year-old Rohan More became the first Asian as well as the first Indian to swim across the Ocean Seven. He is also the youngest person in the world to do so.
- Jhulan Goswami: 1st female cricketer to take 200 ODI wickets
India’s veteran pacer Jhulan Goswami is now the first female cricketer to take 200 ODI wickets. Goswami achieved the feat during the second ODI between India and South Africa.