- CCI fines Google Rs.136 crore for search bias
India’s antitrust watchdog imposed a Rs. 136 Crore fine on Google for “search bias” and abuse of its dominant position, in the latest regulatory setback for the world’s most popular internet search engine.
- Car in space: Launch of Falcon Heavy is a success for SpaceX
The much-awaited launch of Falcon Heavy took place on February 6, at 3:45 PM ET as designated. Its success made the giant rocket of SpaceX the most powerful launch vehicle ever.
- Now, a ‘real worm’ in virtual avatar
In a first, scientists have ‘uploaded’ the neural sytem of a worm into a computer, allowing it to live in a virtual avatar and even learn new tricks without human coding.
- Ocean microplastic is now a major risk to whales : study
The research was conducted by Murdoch University, Australia. They examined how toxic chemicals that are found in plastics accumulate in the body of the species for decades and pose a major health risk.
- Satyendra Nath Bose : Father of the God Particle
World famous Indian scientist, Satyendra Nath Bose is known for working with Albert Einstein on the Bose-Einstein Condensate and his work on the Boson particle. He was born on January 1, 1894, in Calcutta (now Kolkata), West Bengal, India.
- Scientists grow human eggs for the first time in laboratory
Scientists have succeeded for the first time in growing human eggs in a laboratory from the earliest stages in ovarian tissue all the way to full maturity – a scientific step that had previously been taken in mice.
- February 2 : World Wetlands Day
World Wetlands Day occurs annually on February 2nd, marking the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on February 2, 1971. Established to raise awareness about the value of wetlands for humanity and the planet.
- ICMR partners with Pfizer to combat antimicrobial resistance
The project will help address the growing AMR threat in India, Pfizer said on the agreement signed between the two organisations.
- 7th India Energy Congress 2018 held in New Delhi
The 7th India Energy Congress (IEC) 2018 was held in New Delhi. The theme for this edition of conference was Energy 4.0: Energy Transition Towards 2030. It was organised by World Energy Council India (WEC India) and inaugurated byUnion Power and New and Renewable Energy Minister R K Singh.
- CRISIL, SIDBI launches India’s first MSE Sentiment Index
The SIDBI (Small Industries Development Bank of India) and ratings agency Crisil have launched CriSidEx, India’s first MSE Sentiment Index for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- “Exam Warriors” : Book written by Narendra Modi released
The book has been titled ‘Exam Warriors’ and mentions various means such as practicing yoga. The book has been brought out by publishing major Penguin.
- Mount Maunganui : India wins Under-19 World Cup 2018
India on 3rd feb lifted a record fourth U-19 World Cup trophy after an eight-wicket rout of Australia in the final, underlining their dominant run in the tournament and giving Rahul Dravid the biggest success of his coaching career.
- February 4 : World Cancer Day
World Cancer Day is an international day marked on February 4 to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- Sweden commits record $370m aid to UN World Food Programme
Sweden and the United Nations World Food Programme on Friday signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement committing an unprecedented $370 million dollars to WFP over the next four years,hailing the Scandinavian nation as a global leader in aid.
- Government launches Start-up-India ranking framework
Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) under Commerce Ministry has unveiled Start-up-India ranking framework to to rank states/UTs based on measures regions that have taken to foster entrepreneurship.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
Only 2 Indian institutes have featured in the top 50 Asian institutes in recently released THE World University Ranking for educational institutes in Asia.The 2 institutes that have made their way to top 50 are IISc(29th rank) & IIT,Bombay
- Google and NCERT join hands to teach students digital safety
Google and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has signed a pact to integrate a course on ‘Digital Citizenship and Safety’ in information and communication technology (ICT) curriculum.
- Rhodendron Park: Foundation stone laid in Tawang
Foundation stone of Rhodendron Park was laid in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh by Chief Minister Pema Khandu. Tawang district was once home to about 100 species of rhododendron but now they have been reduced to only 50 plus species due to construction activities in border areas.
- Nuclear Capable Agni-1 Missile successfully test-fired
India on February 06 flight-tested the indigenously developed Agni-I ballistic missile that can carry a nuclear payload as part of a user trial by the Army from a test range off the Odisha coast.
- Titan’s icy methane ocean re-created in lab
Scientists have recreated the ocean of Saturn’s moon Titan in the laboratory in an attempt to determine how an autonomous submarine would work on the icy cosmic body.