- PV Sindhu to win India Open 2017 title
India’s badminton star PV Sindhu added yet another title to her name after winning the India Open Superseries title in New Delhi. This was her first title at home as she beat Rio Olympic gold medallist Carolina Marin in the final.
- Record Capacity Addition of Wind Power
Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has set another record in the wind power capacity addition by adding over 5400 MW in 2016-17 against the target of 4000 MW.
- PM dedicates Chenani-Nashri Tunnel to the Nation
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi dedicated India’s longest road tunnel, the 9 kilometre long Chenani-Nashri Tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir, to the nation.
- Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission to go paperless
Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HPPSC) is all set to launch e-Governance Project to start paperless functioning, making it the first PSC of the country to do so.
- First bio-gas bus launched in Kolkata
A city based company has launched the first bio-gas fuelled bus in Kolkata keeping a flat fare of just Re 1. All buses will have a flat fare of Re 1 irrespective of the distance, even in excess of 40 km.
- World Autism Awareness Day 2017: 2 April
Every year, autism organizations around the world celebrate the day with unique fundraising and awareness-raising events. Theme for the year 2017 is ‘Toward Autonomy and Self-Determination’.
- Moreno wins Ecuador presidential race
Ruling party candidate Lenin Moreno was declared the winner of Ecuador’s Presidential runoff. But his rival, conservative banker Guillermo Lasso, has yet to concede defeat and demanded a recount after three exit polls showed him winning.
- Dawit Isaak awarded World Press Freedom Prize
Dawit Isaak, an imprisoned Eritrean-Swedish journalist, has been chosen to receive the 2017 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize.
- Rajiv Kumar appointed as India’s Ambassador to the UN
Rajiv Kumar Chander has been appointed as Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations Offices in Geneva. Chander belongs to the Indian Foreign Services batch of 1983.
- 19th commonwealth forestry conference begins in Uttarakhand
The 19th Commonwealth Forestry Conference is being held at Forest Research Institute, Dehradun, India from 3rd to 7th April, 2017. The ICFRE and FRI will be the Focal point of the conference, with support from MOEF & CC, Govt of India.
- Union Minister Prakash Releases ‘India Rankings 2017’
The Union Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri Prakash Javadekar, released the India Rankings 2017 for the Educational Institutions and dedicated it to the nation in New Delhi.
- Malaysia to set up technology park in Andhra Pradesh
The Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board and MIGHT Technology have signed a memorandum of understanding to collaborate on building the park, which will cover 250 acres and focus on new technologies.
- Bangladesh is organising World parliamentarians conference
A mega conference of world parliamentarians is being held in Dhaka to focus on ways and means to end political and economic inequality for upholding democracy and human rights.
- Piyush Goyal launches self-help book
Titled “The Entrepreneur’s Guidebook,” the book is authored by Suresh Bharwani, Chairman and Managing Director of Jetking Infotrain Limited.
- MS Dhoni Turns Gulf Oil India CEO for a day
MS Dhoni was appointed as ‘CEO of the day’ by an oil company Gulf Oil India. He has been a brand ambassador for the firm since 2011.
- Geetha Johri appointed as first woman DGP of Gujarat
Senior IPS officer Geetha Johri was appointed Gujarat’s new DGP-in-charge, becoming the state’s first woman police chief. She will replace incumbent PP Pandey.
- RBI clears proposal to introduce Rs 200 notes
The board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cleared a proposal to introduce banknotes of Rs 200 denomination. The process of printing the new Rs 200 notes is likely to begin after June.
- Centre sets up National Board of Electric Mobility
The Centre has notified the constitution of the National Board of Electric Mobility (NBEM). It also nominated six members of eminence and expertise from the automobile industry, The nominated members will have a tenure of two years .
- Iceland to make equal payment law for men and women
Iceland ranks first on the World Economic Forum’s 2015 Global Gender Gap Index. Iceland’s parliament has presented a bill that would require public and private businesses to prove they offer equal pay to employees.
- International Mine Awareness Day: 4 April
International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action is observed on 4 April every year. Theme for the year 2017 is Needs driven. People Centred.
- Japan officially recognises Bitcoin as currency
Japan has officially recognized bitcoin and digital currencies as legal money along the lines of other fiat currencies with effect from April 1, 2017.
- Tree-dwelling crab species Kani maranjadu found in Kerala
Scientists from the University of Kerala have discovered a new species of long-legged, tree-dwelling crabs named Kani maranjandu in Western Ghats of Kerala.
- Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana
The Union Cabinet approved closure of the Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY) which was set up in 2012 to address the social security-related issues of the Emigration Check Required (ECR)-category.
- India’s is the world’s 7th largest tourism economy
India’s travel and tourism sector ranks 7th in the world in terms of its total contribution to the country’s GDP, according to a new report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC).
- The first express highway project in the northeast region
The northeast region will be developed along the Brahmaputra river in Assam. The agreement was signed between the Assam government, the National Highways Authority of India and the Inland Waterways of India.
- Jhargram becomes 22nd Bengal district
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has declared Jhargram as the 22nd district of West Bengal, fulfilling a longstanding demand of its residents.
- WTO sets up panel to decide on import duty on steel
The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has decided to set up a panel to resolve dispute between India and Japan on safeguard duty imposed by India on certain categories of steel.
- MoU between India and Bangladesh in field of Mass Media
The Union Cabinet has approved the MoU on Cooperation in the field of Mass Media between India and Bangladesh. Decision in this regard was taken at the Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Union Cabinet approves setting up Rail Development Authority
The Union Cabinet has cleared approved setting up an independent rail regulator, named Rail Development Authority (RDA). It will be based in Delhi and will be set up through an executive order.