- ABB India wins Smart Technology of the Year 2016
ABB India has been awarded with Smart Technology of the Year 2016 for its efforts at restoration of 1,035 MW Sharavathi hydropower plant in Karnataka
- India’s longest highway tunnel to be inaugurated
India’s longest highway tunnel at Chenani Nashri, between Udhampur and Ramban in Jammu & Kashmir is all set to be inaugurated. The 10.89 km tunnel has absorbed a sum of Rs 2519 crore in its construction.
- Vidya Pillai wins silver in Women World Snooker
India’s Vidya Pillai produced a spirited performance before settling for silver in the World Women Snooker Championship in Singapore. Hong Kong’s former World Champion, Ng On Yee, won the gold medal.
- Five Indian-Americans among the richest in the US: Forbes
Symphony Technology founder Romesh Wadhwani, co-founder of outsourcing firm Syntel Bharat Neerja Desai, airline veteran Rakesh Gangwal, entrepreneur John Kapoor and Silicon Valley angel investor Kavitark Ram Shriram feature in Forbes’
- India hosting Commonwealth Auditors General conference
India is hosting the 23rd Conference of Auditors General of Commonwealth nations and nine British overseas territories here, to discuss the role of technology in public audit.
- Arundhati Bhattacharya among Fortune’s 50 greatest leaders
SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya and Indian-origin physician Raj Panjabi have been named by Fortune magazine among the world’s 50 greatest leaders who are transforming the world and inspiring.
- Bengaluru gets India’s first vertical garden
In a first in India, Bengaluru got its first vertical garden, which it hopes will help in lowering the pollution levels of the city.
- Scientists discover five new sub-atomic particles at CERN
Scientists using Large Hadron Collider accelerator (LHC) at CERN (European Organisation for Nuclear Research) have discovered a new system of five particles all in a single analysis.
- India’s first sign language dictionary to come up soon
The Union Government will soon launch country’s first-of-its-kind Indian Sign Language (ISL) dictionary which aims to bring uniformity in sign languages used by hearing and speech impaired people.
- Union Cabinet approves four GST Bills
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the four Goods and Services Tax (GST) related bills. These Bills were earlier approved by the GST Council after clause by clause.
- Ganga and Yamuna Rivers as living entity
The Uttarakhand High Court has recognized the Ganga and Yamuna Rivers as so-called living entities. It is for the first time any court in India has recognized a non-human as a living entity.
- GRAPES-3 Telescope upgraded to detect solar storms
The GRAPES-3 experiment at TIFR’s (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) Cosmic Ray Laboratory in Ootacamund in Tamil Nadu is getting upgraded to detect solar storms.
- Army Releases Book titled ‘Home of the Brave’
Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) General Bipin Rawat released the book ‘Home of the Brave’ on the history of Indian Army’s Counter Insurgency Force, the Rashtriya Rifles (RR), in New Delhi.
- NGT suspends Green nod for Neutrino project
The Southern Bench of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) suspended the Environmental Clearance (EC) granted to the India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO). It has asked the project proponent to make a fresh application.
- March 22 celebrated as World Water Day
2017 Theme: “Why Waste water?” It focuses on waste water and ways to reduce and reuse as over 80% of all the waste water.
- world’s third-largest hypersonic wind tunnel
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) created history by commissioning the world’s third-largest hypersonic wind tunnel at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- India ranks 131 in 2016 Human Development Index
India was ranked 131 in the 2016 Human Development Index (HDI) among the 188 countries. India scored 0.624 and was placed in medium human development category.
- SaCReD initiative to make Majuli carbon neutral island
Assam Government launched Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development (SaCReD) Initiative to develop Majuli, the world’s largest river island, as the country’s first carbon neutral district.
- MoU between India and US in field of Cyber Security
The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-ln) and the US Homeland Security Department on cooperation in the field of Cyber Security.
- Cabinet approves amendments to NABARD Act, 1981
Union Cabinet has approved proposal for amending National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981. Decision in this regard was taken in the Union Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Cabinet approves setting up of NSEBC
The Union Cabinet approved setting up of National Commission for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (NSEBC) as a constitutional body. Constitutional amendment bill for amending Constitution by insertion of Article 338B
- Third Protocol amending India-Singapore DTAA
The Union Finance Ministry has notified hird Protocol amending India-Singapore Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA). The agreement came into force in February 2017 and was signed in December 2016.
- The Employees Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016
The Bill amends the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923. It ensures compensation up to Rs 1 lakh to employee if an injured in an industrial accident and imposes hefty penalty in case of any violation by the employers.
- India ranks 87th on Energy Architecture Performance Index
India ranked 87th among the surveyed 127 countries on a Global Energy Architecture Performance Index (EAPI) released as part of report of Geneva- based World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Scientists develop solar-powered skin for prosthetic limbs
Researchers including Indian origin from University of Glasgow have developed new prototype prosthetic limbs having solar-powered skin.
- March 24 celebrated as World TB Day
To raise public awareness about the global epidemic of Tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease. 2017 Theme (Campaign): “Unite to End TB”. This year it is second year of a two year “United to End TB” Campaign.
- French mathematician Yves Meyer wins 2017 Abel Prize
French mathematician Yves Meyer has won the prestigious 2017 Abel Prize for his pivotal role in the development of the mathematical theory of wavelets (small waves or ripples).
- Union Government to launch Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
Union Government is going to launch Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) scheme for providing physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- Environment Ministry official to chair AWBI
Government has notified that Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI), a statutory advisory body under the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEF) will now be permanently chaired by a senior MoEF official.
- Indian Navy successfully test fires Barak missile
Indian Navy successfully conducted maiden test of short range surface-to-air Barak missile from country’s sole aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.