- Endangered Kurukh gets official language status
West Bengal Government has given official language status to endangered tribal language Kurukh, mother tongue belonging to the Dravidian family.
- NGT fixes norms for camping along Ganga in Uttarakhand
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has prohibited all camping activity on beaches which fall within 100 meters along the River Ganga from Shivpuri to Rishikesh in Uttarakhand.
- Odisha for first time achieves highest decline in IMR
For the first time in 16 years, Odisha has achieved highest decline in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR). This decline is far better than the national average.
- West Bengal Clinical Establishments Bill, 2017 passed
The State Legislative Assembly has passed the West Bengal Clinical Establishments (Registration, Regulation and Transparency) Bill, 2017, by a voice vote.
- Haryana Government announces Tirtha Darshan Scheme
Haryana Government has announced Tirtha Darshan Scheme under which senior citizens above 60 years of age in the state will be able to go on a pilgrimage within the country at government expense.
- Punjab Agri University develops genetically-modified cotton
Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) in Ludhiana has claimed developing country’s first genetically-modified (GM) varieties of cotton – PAU Bt 1 and F1861. Cotton is the only GM crop allowed to be cultivated in India.
- New canyon system found near Kovvada, Andhra Pradesh
Scientists for the first time have discovered three new canyons close to Kovvada in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
- India and Belgium sign Protocol
India and Belgium have signed a Protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between the two countries.
- Government issues draft rules on e-wallet payments
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has issued draft Information Technology (Security of Prepaid Payment Instruments) Rules 2017 for Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) company or e wallet firms.
- Parliament passes Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill, 2016
Parliament has passed the Maternity Benefits (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to raise maternity leave for working women from 12 weeks to 26 weeks for two surviving children.
- World’s oldest fossils discovered in Quebec, Canada
Scientists have claimed that they have discovered oldest fossils on Earth in rocks from Quebec, Canada. Carbon dating techniques suggest that these rocks are at least 3.8 billion years old and might even be 4.3 billion years old.
- govt launches survey to figure out aquatic life
The Union Government has launched the first ever across-the-river survey in River Ganga to determine the population of aquatic life, including that of the endangered Gangetic doplhin.
- GST Council approves final draft of Central GST
The GST Council meeting headed by Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley approved the final draft of Central GST (CGST) and Inter-State GST (IGST) laws.
- World’s oldest aircraft carrier INS Viraat decommissioned
The world’s longest serving warship INS Viraat was decommissioned by the Indian Navy at Naval Dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra after nearly six decades of service
- Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and UAE
The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) to provide various services in the field of energy management and conservation.
- CCEA approves development
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved proposal for revival of 50 under-served/un-served airports or airstrips of the State Governments, Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Civil enclaves.
- Trade Mark Rules 2017 come into effect
The Trade Mark Rules, 2017 have come into effect, streamlining and simplifying the processing of Trade Mark applications.
- Polluted environment kills 1.7 million children a year: WHO
According to recently released World Health Organisation (WHO) report titled “Inheriting a sustainable world: Atlas on children’s health and the environment”, polluted environment kills around 1.7 million children a year
- Union Cabinet approves oil storage pact with UAE’s ADNOC
The Union Cabinet has approved signing of the Definitive Agreement on Oil Storage and Management between Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Ltd (ISPRL) and UAE’s Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
- Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and UN-Women
Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and the United Nations Entity of Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women).
- Union approves accession to global customs convention
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for India’s accession to the Customs Convention on International Transport of Goods under cover of TIR Carnets (TIR Convention) and necessary procedures for ratification.
- India tops in bribery rate among 16 Asia-Pacific nations
According to recent survey released by Transparency International (TI), India had highest bribery rate among the 16 Asia-Pacific countries surveyed between July 2015 and January 2017.
- EU successfully launches 5th satellite of Copernicus
European Space Agency (ESA) successfully launched Sentinel-2B satellite, fifth of its Sentinel Earth observation satellites part of its multi-billion-euro Copernicus observation program
- India-Oman joint military exercise Al-Nagah-II 2017 held
The joint military exercise Al-Nagah-II 2017 between India and Oman began in the Dhauladhar Ranges in Bakloh belt of Himachal Pradesh to strengthen the military ties between the two countries.
- Commonwealth launches Peace in the Home programamme
The Commonwealth of Nations has launched “Peace in the home” programme to help member states tackle domestic violence which still remains a “stubborn stain” on communities, disproportionately impacting women.
- Indo-Nepal joint Military exercise Surya Kiran-XI
The eleventh edition of joint military exercise ‘Surya Kiran 2017‘ between India and Nepal began in Pithoragarh area of Uttarakhand. It is two-week long battalion level joint exercise between armies of both countries.
- govt announces new licensing policy to boost oil output
The Union Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has announced new Open Acreage Licensing Policy (OALP) for oil and gas exploration.
- Government launches Web Portal for obtaining CRZ Clearances
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) clearances.
- IORA Leaders Summit held in Jakarta
The Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Leaders’ Summit was recently held in Jakarta, capital of Indonesia from May 5 to 7, 2017.
- India launches Stage II of HCFC Phase Out Management Plan
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched Stage II of HCFCs Phase Out Management Plan (HPMP) for the 2017-23 period.
- INS Tillanchang commissioned by Indian Navy
India Navy has commissioned INS Tillanchang at Karwar, Karnataka. It is a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) It is the third ship of four follow-on WJFAC built by the Kolkata based Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE)