- Government launches Bharat QR code
The Union Government has launched Bharat QR code, a quick response (QR) code to enable digital payments without card swiping machines.
- Government launches Cyber Swachhta Kendra in New Delhi
The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has launched Cyber Swachhta Kendra in New Delhi for Botnet cleaning and Malware analysis.
- Scientists discover four new miniature frog species
Scientists have discovered four new species of miniature night frogs no bigger than a human thumbnail in Western Ghats, a global biodiversity hotspot.
- Shurhozelie Liezitsu sworn-in as Chief Minister of Nagaland
Shurhozelie Liezitsu (81) was sworn-in as the 17th Chief Minister of Nagaland. He was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor PB Acharya at a ceremony in the state capital Kohima.
- National Biodiversity Congress 2017 held in Kerala
The National Biodiversity Congress (NBC) 2017 was held in Thiruvananthapuram, capital of Kerala. The event is hosted by the Kerala State Biodiversity Board.
- February 21: International Mother Language Day
The International Mother Language Day (IMLD) was observed across the world on 21 February to promote awareness of linguistic, multilingualism and cultural diversity. This year it is the 17th anniversary of IMLD.
- Government approves Phase II of coastal surveillance project
The Union Defence Ministry has given its nod to the Phase II of coastal surveillance project to expand the coastal radar surveillance network. It will strengthen surveillance of over 7,500-km coastline of the country.
- India, Rwanda sign MoUs
India and Rwanda have inked three agreements in the fields of innovation, aviation and visa requirements to boost bilateral relations.
- govt launches SAATHIYA Resource Kit and SAATHIYA SALAH app
The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched SAATHIYA Resource Kit and SAATHIYA SALAH mobile app for adolescents as part of the Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram (RKSK) programme.
- govt announces expansion of rotavirus vaccine in 5 states
The Union Government has announced the expansion of rotavirus vaccine in five additional states under Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP). They are Assam, Tripura, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
- govt releases format for recording, reporting road accident
The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has released the new format for recording and reporting road accident data.
- Gujarat Assembly passes Aadhaar Bill, 2017
The Gujarat Assembly has passed Gujarat Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2017.
- MoU signed for welfare of Handicraft Artisans
The Union Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment have signed MoU to step up interventions for the welfare and economic development of scheduled caste artisans.
- Scientist have claimed discovery of new geological continent
Geologists have claimed discovery of new geological continent named Zealandia submerged beneath the south-west Pacific Ocean. Zealandia is around 4.5-million square km land mass and is 94% under water.
- Barren Island: India’s only live volcano active again
According to scientists from Goa based National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), India’s only live volcano at Barren Island in the Andaman and Nicobar has become active again.
- Researchers develop first stretchable integrated circuit
Researchers from US based Michigan State University have developed the first stretchable integrated circuit (IC) made entirely using an inkjet printer.
- February 20: World Day of Social Justice
The World Day of Social Justice is observed every year on February 20 to recognize the need to promote efforts to tackle issues such as poverty, exclusion and unemployment.
- GST council approves law to compensate states
The GST Council has approved a law to compensate states for any loss of revenue from the implementation of the new nationwide indirect taxation regime.
- ISRO successfully tests largest GSLV Mark III rocket
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested India’s largest indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage engine for GSLV Mark III.
- Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH commissioned
Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS AYUSH was commissioned at Kochi, Kerala by Vice Admiral AR Karwe, Flag Officer Commanding-in- Chief, Southern Naval Command.
- Indian Navy’s INSV Tarini inducted
Indian Navy’s second ocean-going sailboat INSV Tarini was inducted at the INS Mandovi Boat Pool on Saturday in Goa. It is slated to be the platform for the Indian Navy’s first Indian all-women circumnavigation of the globe expedition.
- Scientists develop high-quality graphene from soybean
Scientists from Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) have made world’s strongest material graphene commercially more viable by using soybean.
- Maharashtra govt approves cloud seeding project for 2017
Maharashtra Government has approved Rs. 250 crore Cloud Seeding Programme during 2017 monsoon season to produce sufficient rain.
- NRAI gets highest WHO ratings for vaccine regulations
India’s vaccine regulatory body NRAI (National Regulatory Authority of India) was given the maximum ratings by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for vaccine regulations.
- India ranks 143rd in 2017 Economic Freedom Index
India was ranked 143rd out of 186 economies in the annual Index of Economic Freedom 2017 that measures the degree of economic freedom in the countries of the world.
- RBI allows multilateral FIs to invest in masala bonds
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has permitted multilateral and regional financial institutions (FIs) to invest in ‘masala bonds’, rupee denominated bonds issued by Indian entities.
- Surendra Verma selected for 2016 Vyas Samman award
Renowned Hindi Scholar, litterateur and playwright Surendra Verma (75) was selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman 2016. He was chosen for this award for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se, published in 2010.
- SC introduces Middle Income Group Scheme
The Supreme Court has introduced Middle Income Group Scheme, (MIGS) a self-supporting scheme for providing legal services to the middle and relatively lower income groups.
- Edappadi K Palaniswamy sworn-in as CM of Tamil Nadu
Edappadi K Palaniswamy was sworn in as the 13th chief minister of Tamil Nadu. He was administered oath of office and secrecy in a simple ceremony held at the Durbar Hall of Raj Bhavan in Chennai, state capital.