- China may deploy 2nd aircraft carrier near SCS
China’s second aircraft carrier, currently being built at a rapid pace, is likely to be based somewhere near the South China Sea (SCS).
- Trump nominates Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court
US President Donald Trump has nominated conservative judge Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court, sparking strong opposition from the Democrats.
- Miss France crowned Miss Universe 2016
A 23-year-old dental student from France has won the Miss Universe crown in the annual pageant held this year in the Philippines.
- Alok Verma takes over as CBI chief
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Alok Kumar Verma took over as Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation.
- India moves to No.2 in team rankings
India have gained a spot by virtue of their series win against England to climb to the second spot in the team rankings.
- Federer grabs 18th Grand Slam title
Federer in Melbourne for the 35th time in a glorious bagged his 18th Grand Slam title and 5th Australian Open trophy.
- Medal-winning State athletes felicitated
Sports Authority of Andhra Pradesh Managing Director and Vice Chairman Bangaru Raja said that in the next 12 months, the 13 districts of the State will get sports hostels and academies.
- U.K. government publishes Brexit White Paper
The United Kingdom government published a White Paper on its negotiating plans for an exit from the European Union, a day after Prime Minister Theresa May won crucial parliamentary approval to begin tough Brexit talks.
- Fantastic fifth for Federer at Australian Open
Roger Federer the first man in history to win five or more titles at three different Grand Slam events: five in Melbourne, seven at Wimbledon and five at the US Open.
- Serena Williams wins 7th Australian Open title
Serena Williams defeated her sister Venus Williams to clinch her seventh Australian Open title. She now holds 23 Grand Slam titles – an Open era record.
- Sania enters Australian Open final;
Sania Mirza put herself in contention for a seventh Grand Slam title as she breezed into the Australian Open mixed doubles final with Ivan Dodig, beating Samantha Stosur and Sam Groth.
- Golden double for Sharan, Saumya
It was a golden double for Sree Sharan and Saumya Ronde in the second Sports state ranking tennis tournament held at the Sree Nidhi International School.
- Indian men & women marathon runners gets Rs.5 lakh prize
India’s elite men marathon runners will vie for the winner’s prize money of Rs. 5 lakh in the 11th Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon.
- Mt. Everest to be remeasured by Survey of India
The Survey of India would soon “remeasure” the height of Mount Everest to help scientific studies, said by Surveyor General of India Swarna Subba Rao.
- GSLV’s cryogenic upper stage tested successfully
The Indian Space Research Organisation’s Propulsion Research Complex at Mahendragiri, about 60 km from here, successfully conducted the stage level test of GSLV MK III’s cryogenic upper stage C-25.
- ‘Lost continent’ found lurking under Mauritius
Scientists have confirmed the existence of a “lost continent” under the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius that was left over by the breakup of the supercontinent, Gondwana, which started about 200 million years ago.
- Demonetisation triggers 30.5% drop in smartphone sales: IDC
Owing to demonetisation and subsequent cash crunch, smartphone sales fell by a whopping 30.5%, revealed by market research firm International Data Corporation (IDC).
- India ranks 4th globally in wind power installation: Survey
India has attained the fourth position globally in installed wind power capacity after China, U.S. and Germany as a result of various steps in the “right” direction, said by the Economic Survey.
- 25 coal mines to be auctioned in 2017-18
The Centre will auction 25 coal mines in 2017–18, four of which will be reserved for commercial mining, Coal Secretary said by Susheel Kumar.
- CSO revises GDP growth for 2015-16 upwards to 7.9%
Government has marginally revised upwards GDP growth for 2015-16 to 7.9 per cent from the earlier estimate of 7.6 per cent after factoring in latest data on agriculture and industrial production.
- India and World Bank sign agreement to improve education
A USD 201.50 million financing agreement has been signed between India and the World Bank in order to improve the quality of technical education in the country.
- ASM to be India’s 1st B-school to collaborate with Harvard
Audyogik Shikshan Mandal (ASM) becomes the first Indian B-school in India to collaborate with Harvard Business School.
- Lakshya Sen becomes World No 1 junior badminton player
The 15-year-old shuttler from Almora, Lakshya Sen, became the number one junior singles badminton player in the world in the latest rankings of the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
- Sindhu, Sameer triumph at Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold
Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu and national champion Sameer Verma wins the women’s and men’s singles crowns respectively at the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament.
- Djokovic, Kyrgios in lead roles at star-stripped Davis Cup
Novak Djokovic and Nick Kyrgios hope the Davis Cup they will be the only two men in the top 15 taking part.
- Anurag Thakur elected HPOA president
Anurag Thakur was elected head of the Himachal Pradesh Olympic Association (HPOA).
- Harikrishna rise to joint second in Tata Steel Chess
The India’s Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna rose to the second position after three rounds in the Tata Steel Chess tournament.
- Security council secretariat gets Rs.333 crore hike
The National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS), which reports to National Security Adviser (NSA) Ajit Doval, has seen a tenfold increase in budgetary allocation.
- Bihar introduces third gender category in school exams
Bihar have been allowed to appear for the Board exams conducted by the Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) under the third-gender category.
- Committee led by former CAG Vinod Rai to run BCCI
In a double tribute to transparency in sport administration and women cricketers, the Supreme Court appointed a four-member panel of administrators led by Vinod Rai and includes the legendary women test cricket player, Diana Edulji.