- Indian American could be FDA head under Trump
Indian-American biotech entrepreneur Balaji Srinivasan is being considered for a role in the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under President Donald Trump.
- The global passports 2017 rankings
The Indian passport has been ranked 78 in a global ranking of the world’s most powerful passports.
- CSIR set to launch Rs. 400-crore startup fund
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is in the process of setting up an innovation fund, worth ₹400-500 crore, to invest in early stage startups and prod innovation.
- India’s new envoy in U.K. pushes for action IT visas
India’s new High Commissioner in the U.K. has urged both governments to work together to tackle the issue of visas for students and IT professionals, and that Brexit presented opportunities to Indian companies.
- Mahak Jain beats top seed Zeel Desai for ITF title
Mahak beat top seed Zeel Desai in the girls final of the ITF grade-2 junior tennis tournament at the DLTA .
- India becomes Associate member of CERN
India became an Associate member of CERN with the Indian government completing its internal approval procedures in respect of the agreement it had signed with CERN.
- New NASA smartphone game lets you grow plants on ISS
NASA has launched a gaming app that allows you to virtually float around the International Space Station (ISS), meet the crew and even grow plants using your smartphone.
- Microsoft offers to collaborate with Andhra in e-governance
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has offered to collaborate with Andhra Pradesh in the areas of e-governance and cyber security, said by Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu.
- Indian pepper may be a cancer fighter
The Indian long pepper, widely popular for spicing up food, may soon be used as a potential cancer treatment drug, according to a new study.
- Murray, Kerber top at Australian Open
World number ones Andy Murray and Angelique Kerber were named the top seeds for next week’s Australian Open with organizers aligning with the current rankings.
- Second Raisina Dialogue held in New Delhi
The second edition of Ministry of External Affairs’ annual Raisina Dialogue was held in New Delhi with the theme “The New Normal: Multilateralism in a multipolar world”.
- India’s Membership in the International Vaccine Institute
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to the proposal for India’s taking full membership of the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) Governing Council. This decision involves payment of annual contribution of US $5,00,000 to the IVI.
- Union Cabinet approves Trade Agreement with Peru
The Union Cabinet has approved holding negotiations for Trade Agreement with Peru on trade in goods, services and investment.
- NASA approves to explore iron-rich asteroid 16 Psyche
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has approved a mission to explore 16 Psyche, an iron-rich asteroid. As part of the mission, NASA craft will be launched in 2023, and will arrive at Psyche in 2030.
- Higher Resolution Weather Prediction Model
The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) has commissioned a very high resolution (12 km) global deterministic weather prediction model for generating operational weather forecasts. The model has been on trial since September 2016.
- Railway Ministry unveils Mission 41K to save energy
Union Railway Ministry has unveiled ‘Mission 41K’ to save Rs. 41,000 crore on the Indian Railways’ expenditure on energy consumption over the next 10 years.
- Silicon spotted as ‘missing element’ in Earth’s core
Scientists from Tohoku University in Japan have claimed that Silicon (Si) is the ‘missing element’ in the Earth’s core. This discovery could help us to better understand how our world formed.
- India ranks 92nd in 2017 Global Talent Index
India was ranked 92nd among 118 countries in the 2017 Global index of talent competitiveness (GTI) list. The index measures ability of countries to compete for talent i.e. how countries grow, attract and retain talent.
- India ranks 60th in Inclusive Development Index
India ranked 60th among the 79 developing countries in 2017 Inclusive Development Index (IDI) released in World Economic Forum’s (WEF) ‘Inclusive Growth and Development Report’.
- Graded Response Action Plan to combat air pollution in NCR
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has notified the Graded Response Action Plan to combat air pollution in NCR Delhi.
- IMF cuts India’s FY17 growth rate to 6.6% from 7.6%
The World Economic Outlook (WEO) update released by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has cut India’s growth rate for the fiscal year 2016–17 to 6.6% from its previous estimate of 7.6%.
- Reservation for girl students in IITs
The sub-committee under chairmanship of professor Timothy Gonsalves has recommended reservation for girl students in IITs to address the issue of slump in number of female students entering the prestigious institutes.
- Richest 1% own 58% of total wealth in India: Oxfam Study
According to study conducted by rights group Oxfam, India’s richest 1% now hold a huge 58% of the country’s total wealth, indicating rise income inequality. It is higher than the global figure of about 50%.
- Union Commerce Ministry launches SEZ India app
The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MOCI) has launched a mobile application named “SEZ India” under its broader e-Governance initiative to help the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Units and Developers.
- China hands over 2 ships to Pakistan Navy
China has handed over 2 ships to the Pak to safeguard the strategic Gwadar port and trade routes under the ambitious China-Pak Economic Corridor (CPEC). These ships have been named as Hingol and Basol, after 2 rivers near Gwadar.
- SpaceX’s Falcon 9 Rocket successfully places 10 satellites
US based rocket manufacturing company SpaceX successfully launched constellation of 10 satellites into orbit on board of its two stage Falcon 9 Rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.
- SEBI tightens merger norms
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has tightened rules for mergers and amalgamations by Indian companies in a bid to safeguard the interests of the public shareholders.
- Unemployment in India to increase marginally in 2017-18: ILO
According to recently released World Employment and Social Outlook for 2017, the number of unemployed people in India is expected to rise by 1 lakh in 2017 and another 2 lakh in 2018.
- CBDT inks Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into a Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement (BAPA) on the with Indian subsidiary of a Japanese trading company.