- Strategic Forces Command exempted from ambit of RTI
The Strategic Forces Command (SFC) which forms part of the National Command Authority (NCA) has been added to the Second Schedule of the Right to Information Act (RTI), 2005.
- Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale sworn in as Chief Justice
Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court. He succeeds Justice D.Y. Chandrachud who was appointed judge of Supreme Court.
- 30 July: World Day against Trafficking in Persons
The World Day against Trafficking in Persons is observed across the world on 30 July to raise awareness of the plight of victims of human trafficking and to protect their rights.
- Syed Nayeemuddin conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna
The Mohun Bagan FC has conferred club’s highest decoration Mohun Bagan Ratna (jewel) on legendary Indian Footballer Syed Nayeemuddin.
- Adman Srinivasan Swamy conferred Award
The Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI) conferred its Lifetime Achievement Award on famous adman Srinivasan K.Swamy. He is a veteran in the advertising industry and has almost four decades of rich experience.
- First BRICS Employment Working Group meeting held
The first-ever meeting of BRICS Employment Working Group (BEWG) was held in Hyderabad, Telangana from July 27 to 28, 2016. The agenda of the two day meeting was to shape the agenda for labour and employment track in BRICS countries.
- Haryana Government launches Pashudhan Bima Yojana
Haryana Government has launched Pashudhan Bima Yojana, an insurance cover scheme for cattle breeders in the state. It was launched by Haryana Animal Husbandry and Dairying Minister, O. P. Dhankar in Jhajjar.
- Parliament passes Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill, 2016
The Parliament has passed the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill, 2016 after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha. It provides for establishment of funds under the public accounts of the Centre & State levels for compensatory afforestation.
- Eminent writer & social activist Mahasweta Devi passes away
Eminent author & social activist Mahasweta Devi passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. She was 91. Her writings had mainly focused on the marginalised communities in the country and served as the voice of the oppressed and downtrodden.
- 29 July: International Tiger Day
The International Tiger Day (also known as Global Tiger Day) is observed annually on 29 July to raise awareness for tiger conservation.
- Noted Tabla maestro Lachu Maharaj passes away
Noted Tabla maestro Pandit Lachu Maharaj passed away in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh due to cardiac arrest. He was 73 years old.
- IMD to use supercomputer to forecast monsoon
The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) has announced that India Meteorological Department (IMD) will use supercomputer to forecast India’s annual summer monsoon.
- 28 July: World Hepatitis Day
The World Hepatitis Day is being observed every year on July 28 around the globe to spread awareness about viral hepatitis. 2016 Theme: “Elimination”. It focuses on elimination of hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030.
- India-US ink $1 billion deal to buy 4 Poseidon-8I aircraft
India has signed a defence deal with United States worth over $1 billion to purchase four additional Poseidon-8I (P8I) long-range maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft.
- Four iconic cricketers were voted Hall of Fame
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has selected Muttiah Muralidaran, Karen Rolton, Arthur Morris and George Lohmann to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame.
- Michel Barnier appointed as Chief Brexit Negotiator
The European Union (EU’s) executive has appointed Michel Barnier, as its Chief Negotiator for the United Kingdom’s exit from the bloc. He is former French Financial Services Commissioner.
- Lok Sabha passes Benami Transactions Amendment Bill, 2015
The Lok Sabha has passed comprehensive Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Bill, 2015 to curb domestic black money.
- Union Cabinet increases limit for Stock Exchanges
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for raising foreign shareholding limit from current 5% to 15% in Indian Stock Exchanges. The decision brings the investment limit of foreign entities at par with that of domestic institutions.
- Union Cabinet approves Bilateral Investment Treaty
The Union Cabinet has approved Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) between India & Cambodia to boost trade and business. Decision in this regard was taken during the Union Cabinet Meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Union Cabinet approves setting up of new AIIMS in Bhatinda
The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of a new AIIMS at Bhatind, Punjab under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- India’s CSIR ranked world’s 12th best govt Institute
The Council of Scientific Industrial Research was ranked world’s 12th best govt institution out of 746 institutions. These institutes were ranked by a prestigious Scimago Institutions Rankings Report based on various parameters.
- Lok Sabha passes Lokpal and Lokayukta (Amendment) Bill, 2016
The bill seeks to amend the Lokpal and Lokayukta Act, 2013 which provides Lokpal (at Centre) and Lokayukta (at States) statutory backing to inquire into allegations of corruption against certain public functionaries and for related matters.
- Bezwada Wilson, TM Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016
2 Indians, social activist Bezwada Wilson & musician TM Krishna, have won the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award 2016. They are among the total 6 awardees selected for the 2016 Ramon Magsaysay Award, often regarded as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
- India-US joint expedition discovers natural gas
Joint expeditions by India and the United States have discovered large, highly enriched accumulations of natural gas hydrate (an icy form of the fuel) in Indian Ocean.
- Union govt approves Rs 1,601 crore for Himayat programme
The Union govt has approved nearly 1,600 crore rupees for Jammu & Kashmir under skill development initiative ‘Himayat’ programme.
- WHO declares Brazil measles free
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has officially declared Brazil free of measles, after no case of the disease was registered in the year 2015.
- Parliament passes Child Labour Amendment Bill, 2016
Parliament has passed the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2016. The bill was first passed in Rajya Sabha and later in Lok Sabha during Monsoon session of Parliament.
- Solar Impulse 2 completes historic round-the-world trip
Solar Impulse 2 has become the 1st aircraft to circle the globe using solar energy. In its journey, the long-range solar-powered aircraft has travelled 26744 miles across 4 continents.
- Flipkart acquires Jabong through fashion portal Myntra
Homegrown e-commerce giant Flipkart acquired online fashion portal Jabong through its fashion unit Myntra. It is said that Jabong was acquired by Flipkart in a cut-price deal that values the online fashion store at 70 million dollars.